Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Mesmerizing Magicals workshop with 7F5R Studio

After finishing my third kaleidoscope from Zentangle's Project Pack 17, I treated myself to a workshop on my favorite coloring medium: Lindy's Gang Magicals. These are pigment powders that offer brilliant, vibrant colors that shimmer, thanks to their mica. I've admired the tinted tiles that 7F5R produce, and often wondered about their technique. This workshop has empowered me to explore using them in different ways for different effects.

First, my kaleidoscope:


While waiting for my workshop supplies to arrive, I explored "bleeding watercolors" on a black tile. After applying blocks of color to the tile with watercolor brush pens, I tangled with a white Gelly Roll. I was curious about using neutral earthtones. They didn't really show through the white, so I finished the tile with a tan Gelly Roll. 


Now for the amazing colors!


My first go felt quite dark and muddy, but I think the highlights gave it some dimension.


Another dark tile. I "lightened' it by adding black! By making the black lines blacker, there is more contrast.


This tile has no black. I used a purple Gold Shadow Gelly Roll. 

I'm grateful to the women at 7F5R--Stephanie, Debbie and Susan--for their skill and sharing their expertise. I look forward to seeing where this takes me!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!