Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Zendala Moments 06 and nib widths

This month's Zendala was inspired by the last day of Project Pack 1, where Molly tangled Crazy Huggins on a black tile. (I'm not sure why I had missed that lesson.) Recently feeling one of those urges to play with Crazy Huggins, I found her video. She used a Gelly Roll 10 and an 05, and the feel of the ink on the Apprentice tile is sumptuous. It's almost like brushing on paint, as you move slowly to give the ink time to flow. Very relaxing. 


Before shading


After shading

Wanting to remember to use different nib widths, I made some notes in my journal.


When the time came for the Zendala this month, I wanted that same feel. I took another Apprentice tile and my Moonlight Gelly Rolls. I used a soapstone to soften everything.


Using those wide nibs feels like carving the tile. Now, if I could only find 05 Moonlights for contrast!

My fat nib kick continued!


A clean coffee filter, Koi brush pens and metallic Gelly Rolls


Glaze pen under Koi brush pen

Back to the Micron 01, I went to the opposite extreme! 



Do you have a preferred pen width? Have you experimented with different nibs?

1 comment:

  1. I currently draw with a broad nib fountain pen and a Uni Sign Pen (very similar to a Sharpie marker). I love the way they glide across the paper, and I like the bold, wide lines they produce. I encourage everyone to try tangling with a larger nib at least once.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!