Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Sunday, January 21, 2024

2024 Art Journal: Days 7-20

You can never go home again.*

Or can you? This week I went home, in a manner of speaking, to my Zentangle creative roots, my artistic family, from which I've ventured out into collage, art journaling, botanical drawing and miscellaneous other stuff. Maybe I've never really left the Zentangle practice, only broadened my interpretation of it. But this week I did an "ensemble" piece in my art journal. (I learned this concept from Zentangle. It may be used in other art forms, too. Feel free to fill me in on those.) I began with my larger sheet of paper, and drew my "string", another Zentangle concept, to randomly divide the space into smaller ones. I splattered some  pigments. Every day, I cut a 1.5 inch strip from the large paper and filled it in with patterns by Debbie New, CZT at 7F5R Studio in Singapore. I always love her patterns, with their botanicals and organic movement. She frequently uses paint splatters, too, so this week was a love letter to Debbie in thanks for all the inspiration she gives me.

But wait! Before we see my love letter to Debbie, I should show you the week of January 7-13. I chose a palette, from a random palette generator and got 5 colors. They became the backgrounds for my daily mixed media strips. My word for this week: Balance. Lots of jumping around. Did I land on my feet? Well, let's just say I didn't get hurt!








This week's tribute--I hope!--to Debbie:





I included this picture to show you the pencil string that guided the composition.

Things you might want to check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!