Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Chill-ax!

This week, the Diva was reflective on her practice and encouraged us to focus on the ZEN of Zentangle. I must confess, Zentangle for me, as I am not formally trained in art, is all about the method. When I teach my classes, I focus on the 8 steps of the method while we are making our tiles. So when I am alone, I tend to do the same. I never plan my work for the weekly challenges. What you see here is it! There was no initial sketch. I just try to go with the flow. Sometimes I flow more than others! (I find that the Diva's challenge lend themselves to this particularly well, in that they are the more open-ended of all the challenges I've seen. For me, when there are too many parameters, it's not as relaxing. But I realize that everyone is different, and admire the work that I see others doing.)

This challenge came at just the right time for me, too. In the past few months, much of my tangle time has been focused on creating lesson plans for new classes and teaching them. I'm looking forward to the next few months, when I'll be teaching fewer classes and focusing on drawing. I realize that it's when I'm drawing that I come up with ideas for classes. It always comes back to connecting with that inner creativity through the 8 steps, doesn't it?

Yesterday, while waiting to get supplies for Sunday's Zendala class, I pulled out my neglected little Moleskine and found a page where I had started Skye, in pencil. You may remember how much I struggled with that one!!! This week, I had learned Lollywimple, an easy, relaxing tangle, and Trelina, a more challenging one. I started adding Trelina to the incomplete pencil version of Skye, then had to stop. This morning, I took the time to go back and finish the page. Shading was particularly enjoyable. I'm relaxed and pleased.



May all your tangles be zen-ful. In joy, shade :)

Thanks for stopping by. Have a peaceful week!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jennifer! I'm such a fan of those 8 steps and I tend to lose sight of them from time to time...it was nice to get back to them this week. I love your sketchbook zen;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this work very much, well chosen tangles, nice shadows, good contrasts and a very special composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice composition, Jennnifer. I have been playing with Lollywimple and find it a fun tangle. I haven't seen Trelina, so I am off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!