Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Diva's Weekly Challenge #387: HaWy

I've always admired Holly Atwater's work. Her recent tangle, HaWy, reminds me of inlaid wood and quilt patterns. Simply stunning.
Trying to replicate HaWy gave me some not so stunning results. Drawing an offset dot grid, the first step, had me in a less than Zen state! Connecting the dots, once I saw Holly's tips, was a pleasure. High focus, indeed, but doable. But that dot grid!!! I resorted to printing out an offset grid, just to get me started with the pattern. After several practice rounds, I was ready to try it sans template. (I confess to using a straight edge to help me keep everything in line. ) On the first tile, I had the dots right, and then I drew the asterisks in the wrong places! So I took my white paint pen and inked over them. Deep breath. Start over. The result left something to be desired! I really wanted to get the feel of the inlaid wood and quilt patterns, so I took another piece of cardboard. Deep breath. Begin again.



A good lesson to remember in life: Deep breath. Try again.

Thanks for your visit! Wishing you a peaceful, patient week.


2 comments:

  1. Amen to the focus needed on this tangle! I have tried it and quit at least three times, but not because of the tangle necessarily! Your tiles are gorgeous and have convinced me to try again. It is still a very focused tangle and for that reason, I am going to give it another try. I had some extensive surgery done on my foot a little over a week ago and it's very painful. The surgery won't allow me to walk for at least 2 or possibly 3 months before I'm allowed to try a walking cast. So I will definitely have all the time in the world to draw it. Your tiles are amazing and I will use them for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer!

    I am SOOOO happy that you kept at haWy! You've created two GORGEOUS tiles! What a happy accident for your first tile! I love the drama of haWy on the white section of the tile... it's just great! I adore the inlaid wood effect in your second tile and such a lovely compliment to the geometry to include your lovely mooka. Beautiful line art on both of your tiles! Wow!

    Here's my hint for creating a freehand offset grid... draw your first column of dots. On the next column look at two dots at a time from the first column, and draw the next column line dot in the middle of those two and keep going down the line. After you have those two columns drawn, you have your base. Third column... look at the first column and line them up. Fourth column line up with second column, etc. I hope that makes sense and helps. I think you came up with some clever alternatives!

    Your lesson from this tangle... gives me pause... the exact reason I love to create art, and how it translates to living your life. Thank you for your patience and persistence, and for giving haWy a try. Also thank you for your kindness in saying that you admire my art. That means the world to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!