Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year! Meet Khala, my new friend...

What do you do when you feel dispersed?
This is something that is not normal for me. I usually focus well, and easily follow the "one stroke at a time" concept of the Zentangle Method. In a recent conversation with my friend Connie, who has known me for about 20 years, I mentioned that I was finding it extremely hard to focus on my artwork. "That's not like you," she replied. We discussed possible explanations, like the holidays,  my age, my husband's changing work schedule, but never really found an answer. To make things worse, one of the items cluttering up my drawing table was a typography piece I had begun, intending to tangle it.
Every day, it seemed to taunt me! I even found it impossible to follow along with the new Project Pack 07 videos.
Then, last week, I met a new tangle, Khala, by Zen Linea on Facebook.


I'm not a huge fan of Celtic knots, but for some reason this one was calling my name! Alas, I worked for several days on it without success. My frustration and even fear that I was somehow losing my ability to tangle mounted. Nevertheless, I persisted in my efforts to befriend this tangle. Once I finally "understood" it, I couldn't get enough!!!(And to be perfectly honest, I still do it in pencil first!) I mounted the first successful attempt on a black Zendala tile and added some typography. It now hangs over my drawing table.




While I'm still a bit "off" in the focus area, I feel that things are getting back to normal. In future posts, I hope to share some of my recent distractions, especially architectural details re-imagined with tangles, my 2020 tile, working with gray and blues, red backgrounds, and even wood burning!
In the meantime, I leave you with my best wishes for you and yours, for a focused, productive and meaningful new year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!