Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Life in the interstices

Interstices (in-TER-stih-sees): Intervening spaces, especially small ones.

I first heard this term used in Zentangle to describe those small spaces in patterns between leaves or petals or orbs. I wasn't very comfortable with it, especially with the pronunciation! However, I've gotten more used to it, and actually thought of another application for it during this hectic week.

I woke up one morning thinking of everything I had to do. My "monkey brain" was chattering away with a million items to put on my list. (Monkey brain is what I call my brain when it's swinging from one thing to another, out of control.) I hadn't even had a sip of coffee, and yet I was headed toward that feeling of being behind and overwhelmed. I managed to get a brain dump on paper to at least clear some head space, and then started about my day. Then, the unexpected started happening. My husband was sick and needed some attention. I dropped my list and went to help. My day went back and forth between him and my list, but I soon realized that I was calm. I even took some time to sit on the porch and watch the birds. I went for a walk in the forest. I spent time sky gazing. I started to realize that the interstices of this day, the in-between moments, were as important and fulfilling as the rest. Since they were moments to pause, I had been able to go peacefully and intentionally through the day, crossing off everything on my list. This felt so refreshing and new!

I mention this because I used interstices as a theme for some of my art this week. What lies in between what we focus on? 


A sunset over the mountains behind a screen at the Alhambra?

Actually the back of one drawing (the Alhambra grid) and the front of another (texturing, color).


Project Pack 19 / The 12 Days of Zentangle dropped this week. You can see the videos on YouTube. I didn't purchase the pack of supplies, so I spent Day 1 creating my template.


Then I did the watercolor wash. Today I finally started to draw. I hope to add something every day. I'll show you the results next week. For now, here's what I have:


What do you notice about your in-between moments? What lies behind what you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!