Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Postcards to Myself

Catching up on Lar's vacation time, we took off to the southwestern mountains of North Carolina last week. We explored mountains and waterfalls, and admired the natural beauty and wonder. Asheville seduced us again, and revealed its hipper district with thrift shops and used bookshops aplenty.

After our previous trip to Asheville, prepandemic, I purchased an Eni Oken lesson "Souvenir Samplers", about using images from one's travels to make a small collage. I liked the project, but found that the tiny tangles were restrictive, so I took the concept and altered it. I made a new 3.5 inch square journal with an inspiring travel quote on the cover.


My 2019 "Souvenir Sampler", 6x6 inches


My new journal

Each day, in the beauty around us, I looked for images that I thought I might be able to deconstruct. I didn't always use proper tangles in my artwork,but focused on patterns.


"Crizzy" is a tangle reminiscent of the zinnias in front of this restaurant


Beautifully carved butcher tables from France in the lobby


Msst, for the waterfalls, with some ash and locust leaves


The lily pad pond at the entrance to the hotel,
drawn with Margaret Bremner's Lilypads tangle, of course!

I still have a couple more to finish, so stay tuned.

Have you ever used your vacation images as inspiration for your tangles?





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!