Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Hotel Providence

As worthy as it is of a lengthy tribute, the Hotel Providence, where I recently enjoyed 4 days during my CZT seminar, is not the subject of today's blog.
"Providence", according to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary from 1828, is "in theology, the care and superintendence which God exercises over his creatures." Years of meager material means had left me with a deep respect for the word and its concept. (Although the word is not commonly heard in American English, its French equivalent, "la providence", was commonplace in the circles I frequented during my 12 years in southwestern France.) "God will provide."
Providence, where my CZT experience was to begin, has resurfaced like an old friend. Now that I'm retired, and have seen my income reduced by 65%, I know that I am living in "the (NEW) Hotel Providence", where I have what I need and I need what I have.
A few weeks ago, having admired Maria Thomas's calligraphy, I decided to have a look at my old calligraphy pens, stored in a small box for at least 15 years. Much to my surprise, they still had cartridges with fluid ink in gorgeous colors. I took a pen, inserted a grey cartridge and started to write in my sketchbook. "Create life" flowed onto the paper. Happy to see my work, I closed the sketchbook and moved on with tangling.
Many days later, I read the Diva Challenge for July 27: "Choose tangles that feel organic." (These leafy, viney, flowery ones are always my favorites!) Here's what happened:


This page reminds me of the abundance of amenities at the (NEW)Hotel Providence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!