Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Diva Challenge #334: Crazy N'Zeppl

Everybody loves N'Zeppl! Especially when it's Crazy N'zeppl! I am no exception. I love squishing those water balloon/hard-boiled eggs into the grid spaces, and then making them pop off the page with a little, or better yet, a lot of graphite. I did two tiles for this week's challenge.


My first tile, on a recycled Cheez-Its box


And another, in my journal, with "Clob", by Jem Miller

Somewhere in the Zen-sphere, there were rumblings of Margaret Bremner's Pixioze, a tangle that always makes me happy to see, but that I rarely use. I decided to give it a go. It takes me some time to fill up space with this, so I have to slow down. (Is it all the auras?) But, boy, is it relaxing! (Is it all the auras?)


On the Mosaic app, Rick and Maria posted a "Kitchen Table Tangle" video using Well in a fractal pattern. (Funny, I thought I did something similar in my journal a year ago, loved it, but couldn't really remember how I got there. Looking at it now, I see it's not at all Well, but Cadent. Sort of. Ish.)  


I was so confident about the Well fractals. I grabbed my fancy sketchbook from seminar and just jumped right in. It did not go so Well. 


So I watched again, took a breath and another Cheez-It tile and jumped in again. 


On the first try, the Prismacolors would not budge, much to my chagrin. On the Cheez-Its box, they glide.  They blend beautifully, play with each other well. I don't understand. I would love to find a list of papers and suitable media, so that my inks don't bleed, my papers don't buckle and my Prismacolors don't freeze.

Any suggestions? Is this documented or just something you're born knowing? Maybe it's just experience, trial and error? Art classes? Youtube videos? I enjoy experimenting, but sometimes it can be frustrating!!!

Thanks for stopping by! Hope your week glides by like a Prismacolor on a Cheez-It box! 








4 comments:

  1. Wow, you were very busy this week Jennifer! And made so much beautiful 'tiles'. For me, it's experience I think. To be honest I hardly ever use the original tiles, because I bought some 'Mandala' paper long ago and I like that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work!
    I don't know "recycled Cheez-it box" but the results on this paper are beautiful.
    As you know, me too like to draw on tan paper because the colours look great on them.
    It is pleasant to experiment also with different pencils, unfortunately I can't find Prismacolours in Belgium but I use often Faber Castell and I like them. Your use of colours looks great on your tan tiles but I also love the black/white tile with Pixiose, lovely composition with nice depth!
    Wish you a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post with lovely tiles! I wonder sometimes why cheap boxes work so much better than expensive papers?
    Sometimes those more complex tangles just get all confused in my brain when I jump in without letting the muscle memory come back first.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!