Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Diva's Challenge #333: Changing seasons and coziness

The Diva's guest bloggers, Juliette Fiessinger and Kellie Fellinge, asked us to identify a cozy tangle or two and explore what makes it cozy, and specifically relate this to changing from summer to autumn.

Autumn here in Chapel Hill brings blue skies, golden sunlight and cooler temperatures. (There is a saying, "If God is not a Tarheel, why is the sky Carolina blue?" NB for those unfamiliar with Carolina Blue and Tarheels: Carolina Blue is the team color for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tarheel teams.) Following an often steamy summer with lead skies so heavy with humidity that the sun and sky look white, autumn rolls in on a rich and vibrant wheel of color. The brilliant red leaves on our local dogwoods and sweet gums and the bright yellows of the tulip poplars pop against this brilliant blue sky, rivaled only by that of southern France, as my humble sky experience goes. I frequently find myself staring up, and mumbling, "Would you look at that sky?" It is truly one of the most joy-giving natural elements of my life. As for coziness, I always look forward to pulling out my husband's grandmother's quilt in the fall, with its tones of rust and turquoise. I chose to use N'Zeppl and Tripoli for a puffy, quilt-like look, with a touch of Nymph for the radiant sun.


What element in Nature brings you great joy?

For some reason, Ibex was on my mind this week. It's becoming a favorite tangle. Here, I used a blue-black Plastic Nib Micron with a brown.


Tomorrow, I'm teaching a class on diptychs. (Wish me luck! It's my first time.) I've been exploring. Here's a simple one with brown and blue microns. 


Thanks for visiting!  Have a cozy week!



4 comments:

  1. Lovely work Jennifer! Your Diva tile is a knockout. I love that blue 😍 I've seen Ibex here and there but have not been inspired to use it, until now... especially effective with the delicate Mooka. Good luck with the class. I'm sure it'll be a great success 🍻😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. All beautiful; the Diva tile is gorgeous, it looks like a warm cozy pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tiles, especially the Diva one in those beautiful colors! I like the shining blue of the sky and the warm yellow of the last sun in autumn. Really a nice 'pillow' for cozy hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautifully and colorfully written post, Jennifer. I really enjoyed reading it. Your quilt certainly looks cozy and that diptych is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!