Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Friday, November 19, 2021

Inviting inspiration to come and play

 Where do you find inspiration? Maybe it's in nature, in biographical work, in science, in math, in language... There's so much to be found in the most unexpected places!

This morning my meditation included a phrase that resounded with me: Invite inspiration to play. Several things struck me. First, the idea of making time and space to welcome inspiration, just as you would a guest in your home. I clear a space--physical and mental!-- for inspiration, for gratitude, for creativity. Second, the idea of play, and how it opens our imagination to endless possibilities. I remember as a child, how the neighborhood kids would invite each other over to play. Once I had another kid around, there were twice as many ways of imagining what to do!

Often, I find inspiration in seeing other Zentangle artists' work on the Mosaic App or through a challenge, such as InkTober. 


Fluxecho, inspired by the Art Raffle app

Very often, I find it in nature, during a walk or working in the garden.


Fluxecho, with autumn colors


Nehphi tangle, inspired by a magnolia seed pod

Sometimes, I venture out to a museum, as I did yesterday to see the Alphonse Mucha exhibition at the North Carolina Museum of Art. I came home and started drawing some notes and sketches of things I wanted to play with.


Where will I find inspiration next? I will clear some space, and see what happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!