Zentangle is...

The Zentangle® Method, created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, is an easy to learn, fun and relaxing way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Diva's Weekly Challenge #373: Draw with your non-dominant hand

When the Diva announced this week's challenge, she acknowledged that there would be no middle ground in our reactions. It was groan or grin at the idea of drawing with our non-dominant hand. Personally, I grinned :)  Because Zentangle is all about the  process, not the product, we focus on our mindfulness during our practice. Drawing with my non-dominant hand forces me to do this, and to    s l o w    d o w n.
I sat down for the challenge on Wednesday, which happened to be the day when "Patience" was the Inktober prompt. I had done my Inktober drawing that morning. However, when I came back to it that evening, I realized I had goofed in the last two steps. (That's why it just looked like N'Zeppl!) It took me a while to find a way to re-program my hand and pen, and once I found it, I didn't want to stop! I decided to continue with the Diva challenge, and draw Patience with my non-dominant hand. At first the squiggly lines were annoying, but I focused on the sequence of steps I had personalized. After over an hour, I liked the look, so I started inking in the areas between the "blooms". I did a few, and decided that I like the open look best. It reminded me of delicately tatted snowflakes my aunt Kathleen used to make.
Only later did I see the connection: non-dominant hand drawing takes a lot of patience.



I found much to be grateful for this week: the fall weather, time to work in the garden, my enormous  clouds of Sheffield mums that are feeding pollinators and appreciating shinrin-yoku, or "forest bathing". I also took some time to play with "dingsplatz", the latest Kitchen Table Tangle.






Monarch butterflies bring me so much joy!!!

Thanks for your visit. Have a lovely week!









3 comments:

  1. Your Patience with a non dominant hand looks great!!!
    I agree totally with the shinrin yoku, nice story.
    Lovely dingsplatz, I didn' exercise yet on that but I will surely do, need more time...
    And to finisch absolutely gorgeous pictures, I never saw a Monarch butterfly in reality, they look awesome.
    Wish you a comfortable new week and send you warm regards from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such a gorgeous butterfly, great to have them in your garden. Youndid very well with that non dominant hand!!! Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!